Monday, June 3, 2013

Cont. to run during pregnancy, advice?

I am about 10 weeks along. I was an avid runner(half marathon and marathon trained) all the way up till the day that my HPT came back postive. I stopped running because I am a new mom and wanted to talk to my doctor first before continuing any exercise. I also wanted to make sure that everything was going smoothly before getting back into my running habit.
My doctor told me I can continue to run, but in moderation; i.e. no more 12 mile runs :( To keep hydrated and not to overheat. I've been walking alot more because I am kinda nervous about over-doing it with the running. I tend to be a pusher when it comes to physical fitness. I went for my first run last weekend(about 3 miles) and took walking breaks. I felt great, didn't have any issues post-run, besides being tired. But I wanted to know if any other running mommies have advice for me.
Can I run straight through or do I really need to take those walking breaks?
How far is too far? My doctor didn't specify, she just said no more long runs, which could mean anything to me since I've run 26 miles.
Do I need to run slower? I'm not talking sprinting, but I avg. about 9:15 min/mile, should I tune that down to 10:00 or even 11:00?
The doctor, I feel can only tell me so much from what she knows, and I like to hear about experiences. I learn more when I read other peoples errors and triumphs. So any advice is wonderful. :)


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment