Friday, August 16, 2013

Ever Been the Seventh Wheel?

I've third-wheeled many a date in my lifetime as the token single friend. Now, I'm never sure how the happy couple feels when I tag along, but personally, I'm a huge fan of said wheeling. You get to enjoy a movie without the anxiety of deciding where to strategically place your hand on the armrest. You can go to town on a plate of spaghetti, while your friend is stuck cutting her salad. And you can wear sweatpants. Need I say more? I didn't think so.

But since coming back to school, I am no longer a third wheel, but rather, the seventh. When I left for New York, the Fourtress (the name of our apartment) had a majority of single ladies -- three of the four of us, in fact. Our nights were spent attempting to fit on one bike, keeping up with the Kardashians and partaking in random shenanigans around campus. That's what I thought was going to be the kickoff to my last quarter as a senior, but as soon as I touched down in Chi-town, two of my roomies had updates for me; they had met guys late in the game, making the Fourtress an apartment of committed, monogamous women. Oh, with one exception -- me.

The first time I felt the full force as the seventh wheel was on apartment game night. The respective couples paired up around our table for a little Pictionary action, and, like the uncoordinated kid last picked for dodgeball, I was left standing alone, wondering if I was supposed to both draw and guess my own clues. Then again, I'd win, so I wasn't entirely opposed to the idea. Either way, you get my drift.

Sometimes when I'm lying on the couch in pajamas and all three roommates are out to dinner with their boys, I'm all whiney, like, "Seventh wheeling is the pits!"

But most times, I'm like, "Nah. NBD."

The dating world would require wearing real pants (see first paragraph), and I'm two months away from graduating college with too many friends to hang out with and too many adventures to still partake in. Real pants would be a hassle. I just need to organize Pictionary on my terms next time. Thinking I'll recruit an art major as my partner.

Anyone else the only single one in a group of friends? I wanna hear from you. Tweet me @hmils and @SELFMagazine!

RELATED LINKS:

Image Credit: Courtesy Photo


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment