Sunday, August 4, 2013

Big Brother: A Novel

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has read Big Brother by Lionel Shriver? I would recommend it as a good read.  In short, it begins as the narrator is preparing to meet her brother after not seeing him for several years. She is self conscious about the 20 pounds she has gained since seeing him last, and is sure that he will tease her about this. To her shock he has gained several hundred pounds and she finds herself speechless.  I won't give anymore away.

I purchased this book after hearing the author on the Diane Rehm show (NPR). Apparently, it was inspired by her actual brother who passed away from weight related complications.  What got my attention was the number of calls and emails protesting the authors use of the word 'fat' and also the entire subject in general. I can understand that no person should be obligated to have a discussion about a personal issue with a well meaning (or just noisy) relative or friend, but I can't really see that the topic is off limits on the radio. Obviously, maybe I am asking the wrong people since if you are on this site, you are probably open to discussing weight issues, but what do you think? At any rate, if you need something to read take a look at this book. 


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment