Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Give Me A Visa! Thoughts On Visa Applications & BMI

Today I’ve been wrapped up in working on my future visa application for NZ. I don’t plan on applying until August or so but I figured I would work on it a little bit at a time when I had free time. I have to say, it’s so complicated! So many things to gather for proof of our relationship. There will also be a ton of writing involved to explain things so I’m glad I’ve started now!

The most fun part by far is going through photos to “prove” our relationship.

photos

So many happy memories!

We’ve packed a lot of great stuff into the last couple of years. :)

One thing that has stressed me out about the application process beyond just gathering enough proof about our relationship (still a ton of work to do for this!) is the fact that I’m currently over the BMI limit that they generally accept. Since New Zealand has publicly funded healthcare they take into consideration future healthcare costs for all immigrants. From what I’ve read a bmi over 35 will require more tests and sometimes gets a rejection of the application because they believe the person will end up costing the healthcare system over $25,000 in the long run.

This obviously makes sense and for a small country like New Zealand is something they need to keep in check to make things work. Learning this stressed me out because I’m currently still over a BMI of 35! Part of me wants to whine that it isn’t fair to use BMI and just say give me a visa already!  But I’m a grown up and logical and realize that this one is on me and me alone, even if I do think BMI is a bit flawed.

Luckily I’m closer than I was to this goal. I need to get down to 190 or preferably lower to avoid most of the hassles with extra medical tests (or possible rejection) for my future visa application. I’m about 11 pounds away since I seem to have stalled around 201 after finishing LiveFit.  My gym membership actually expired this week and I’m not renewing it until I come back to NZ in July. This means I need to kick it into high gear… without a gym.

So that’s where I stand in the whole living permanently in New Zealand situation. I’ve got to gather up a whole bunch of evidence, write several super long essays of explanation, get friends to write letters about us, save up over a thousand dollars for fees, and lose at least 11+ pounds. Sooner rather than later.  Or by August to be exact.

Oh the things I do for love.

Related posts:

Merry Go Round: Never Give UpNew Zealand Visa Woes

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment